The 2023-24 school year brings an exciting refresh to the mentor program. As WSSB Outreach expands statewide services, a new team of teachers is working hard to build a program that will provide the support needed to grow the next generation of teachers of students with blindness and low vision. We aim to provide new teachers in Washington with more support time, specialized knowledge from multiple professionals, and an expanded array of resources. We’ll roll out new offerings in the coming year, including in-person/online support and professional development. We can’t wait to connect with you.
OSPI / WSDS Vision Grant Program
The vision grant program is a partnership involving the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), Washington Sensory Disability Services (WSDS), the Washington State School for the Blind (WSSB) and Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas. Since 2017, our program has offered yearly grants and mentor support to Washington State teachers who wish to add a vision endorsement to their certificate. Over this time we have added nearly 40 new vision professionals throughout the state to assist in meeting the needs of this ever-growing field. Grants applications are taken every winter/spring and are awarded in late April. The grant pays for all tuition. If you are interested, please contact Joe Dlugo.
Need a Mentor?
Our program offers mentor support for new vision educators throughout Washington State, including those in their first 3 years, and those new to the state. Our services are not limited to those who have received state grants. We offer mentorship in the following areas:
- Teachers of Blind and Low Vision Learners (AKA “TSVI”), ages birth-21
- Orientation and Mobility Specialists (O&M), ages birth-21
- Certified Assistive Technology Instructional Specialists (CATIS) working in school settings
Please contact Joe Dlugo for more information.
I want to…
- Get an overview of resources for TSVIs (pdf)
- Learn about access technology services (pdf)
- Attend a Vision Round-up (pdf)
- Perform an FVA, LMA, or ECC assessment (pdf)
- Understand Quota Funds, the ORC, and APH (pdf)
- Expanded Core Curriculum (pdf)
- Know what to do when I get a referral (pdf)
Current Job Postings
Are you a vision education professional in Washington State looking for a new position? Check out our job postings. Postings are updated monthly.