Policy Approve By
Dr. Dean O. Stenehjem, Superintendent
Policy Date (original policy date)
Revised (date text was last updated)
Policy Prepared By
Instructional Resource Center (IRC)
SUBJECT: Student eligibility for registration with the Washington Ogden Resource Center (ORC)
Establish criteria for student eligibility
Students must be enrolled in a public or private (non-parochial) educational program. Students must meet one of the following conditions once an educational team determines a student’s need for specialized instruction and/or accessible instructional media due to conditions resulting in reduced functional vision:
- Meet the Definition of Blindness (MDB) - central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting glasses or a peripheral field so contracted that the widest diameter of such field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees.
- Function at the Definition of Blindness (FDB) which is visual performance reduced by brain injury or dysfunction when visual function meets the definition of blindness as determined by an eye care specialist or neurologist.
- If student doesn’t fall into the above placements, but the IEP, 504 plan or Functional Vision Evaluation requires accessible instructional media.
Several factors to remember are:
- There is NO chronological age requirement for eligibility.
- Students must be working at less than college level.
- Students cannot be registered by two schools or Federal Quota accounts.
- Adults to be registered must be receiving a minimum of 20 hours of instruction per week in an educational program.
ORC Account Holder is responsible for:
- Verifying student records.
- Registering students using the ORC on-line system.
- Annually updating student information for the Annual Student Census conducted by ORC.