Policy Approve By
Dr. Dean O. Stenehjem, Superintedent
Policy Date (original policy date)
Revised (date text was last updated)
Policy Prepared By
Sue Bishop, Director of Residential Services
Provide direction for Residential Staff to ensure the safety of students in the cottages and while moving about the campus.
RESPONSIBILITY OF RESIDENTIAL STAFF:
- Staff will allow residents within the cottage to visit in each others bedroom with the bedroom door open at all times. Staff will monitor the visits by moving up and down the hallway every ten to fifteen minutes.
- Staff will allow other students or friends to visit a resident, however the visitors must remain in the living/dining room areas.
- Staff will monitor the bathroom when residents are bathing/showering by remaining near the bathroom area. Residents will be monitored while entering and leaving the bathroom and while moving about the hallway. Staff will also monitor the bathroom during peak usage (i.e. before and after meals, preparing for bed, etc.).
- One staff person will remain out on the floor at all times. At no time will all staff be in the office, leaving students unsupervised.
- Staff will ensure the safety of students traveling about campus after dark, by using one of the following:
- By escorting students from one location to another.
- By telephoning ahead to notify staff at the student’s destination.
- By watching from the cottage
- By having student travel with another student.
- Staff will be responsible for students who check off campus by ensuring the students are going where they checked out to go, have their cane, have money for a phone call, and are not placing student in jeopardy by allowing them to travel off campus during inclement weather.
- Cottage doors should be locked at all times.
- It is the responsibility of staff to report any incident immediately to their supervisor, and to