When any school personnel has reasonable cause to believe that a child or adult dependent person has suffered abuse or neglect, (s)he shall report such incident, or cause a report to be made, to the proper law enforcement agency as per RCW 26.44.040. This report must be made within forty-eight (48) hours after there is reasonable cause to believe the child or adult has suffered abuse or neglect. The individual reporting the incident must report the incident to the Superintendent's office either before or directly after making the report. (It is important for the Superintendent's office to be aware of these situations, but this will not discourage or affect the course of appropriate action.)
- Reporting: Any employee who has reasonable cause to believe a child, adult student (18+), or dependent adult has suffered abuse or neglect is required to contact the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) toll-free EndHarm hotline (CPS) anytime day or night at 1-866-363-4276 (EndHarm is TTY accessible). The person who answers the phone will connect you to the direct, local number to make your report.
- Informing the Superintendent's Office: The Superintendent's office must be notified either before or after the report is submitted (as stated above). Please use the attached reporting form.
- Report information asked by CPS
- The name, address and age of the child.
- The name and address of the child's parent, guardian or other persons having custody of the child.
- The nature and extent of the abuse or neglect.
- Any evidence of previous incidences.
- Any other information which may be helpful in establishing the cause of the child's abuse or neglect and the identity of the perpetrator.
NOTE: Remember you are required to report incidents that in your estimation warrant reasonable cause. If in doubt, consult the Superintendent's office or make contact with CPS for an opinion.
Report to parents: RCW 72.40.210
If the CPS report is not in regards to the parent and/or someone in the household the parent must be informed within 48 hours. If by telephone call, notification shall be followed up by notification in writing within forty-eight hours after the initial oral contract is made.